In order to identify which setting are wrong, you will need to see both Personnel Manager and Self-Service.
Simply Personnel/Personnel Manager (desktop application):
- Log in as admin.
- Click Employee Search and double click the Employee's name after you've found them.
- Under Personal: check the Leaver tab and make sure they're not a Leaver.
- If he is, then the Employee needs to be assigned to another manager because, technically speaking, they don't have a manager.
- Go to Work and check that the Fixed End Term Date (if applicable) is not a past date. If it is, then go back to step 4.
- Go to Work -> Job/Salary -> Job History, double click last record and make sure they don't have a TO date that has already passed. If they have, you'll want to see step 4.
- Run all those checks to the Manager in question as well.
- System Setup -> Users -> Click on the Cog&Spanner icon next to the user's name.
- Make sure Profile when viewing own details is set to Employee.
- Click Update.